Saturday, June 30, 2018

Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo


23437156
This review was written by: C
Received: Borrowed from Library
Publication Date of Book: Sept. 29, 2015
Pages (Hardcover): 462
Stars: 5/5

Official Summary:

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:

Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)

Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)

Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)

Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.



My Thoughts:

"We're all someone's monster."


We're starting the new year strong with my first read being 5/5 stars (yes, this review is being posted way after I read the book and wrote this review)! I have to admit, I don't always love books that are super hyped -- I have such high expectations that just aren't met very often (I'm looking at you Hunger Games -- you just definitely weren't for me). However, I'm glad I decided to pick this baby up. I'm definitely a bit late to the game on this one (by three years), but I guess better late than never. 


Anyway, when I first got my hands on Six of Crows, I was fairly hesitant about the various point of views. I don't mind POV books with multiple characters, but following six people seemed a bit much, not to mention daunting. You have to remember their names, skills, personalities, physical traits, etc. in order to distinguish between who is who, and some authors don't do a splendid job at differentiating characters or making them each stand out as individuals. 




I have to give Bardugo props for making it easy to follow them all. Although, I have to admit, I did love reading from a few particular characters' perspectives more than others.

Anywho, when I started reading, I was honestly a bit bored. I was given a lot of information about a dull guard walking around the property of some rich dude. I admit that I can be kind of picky about the beginning of books -- it can make or break whether or not I'll even continue reading it if I feel like it's a waste of time and totally boring (I have over 3,000 books on my To-Read list, so I don't exactly want to spend forever agonizing through a 400+ page book). Despite the slow beginning, I'm glad I stuck through it, and this read picked up immediately following the guard's story. Consequently, I ceased to be disappointed. 

I've never come across an author capable of creating such a vast and interesting universe that grabs a reader's attention. The heist was also spectacular and so much thought and time went into making it intricate, understandable, and breathtaking. There was suspense, so many twists and turns, and surprises that I didn't see coming.  

I thoroughly enjoyed Bardugo's group of outcasts. I don't know why, but I often prefer reading stories about the underdogs or the forgotten in society. They're just far more interesting, quirky, and filled with great backstories. Remember how I mentioned that I preferred some characters over others? They were all great in their own ways -- they all fit spectacularly into the story with their own histories, tricks, talents, and unique personalities. However, I just loved Kaz. 





I've never come across a character quite like him. He was complex, compelling, witty, and just full of secrets. His backstory was also especially intriguing. I really shouldn't get started, or I'll never stop gushing over him. 

I was also totally blindsided when I discovered that there was a lovely LGBTQ+ couple snuck into the story. Meet Jesper Fahey and Wylan Van Eck:


   


In the beginning, they're pretty much the only characters without definitive love interests. I didn't really think anything of it, and neither characters' sexualities were made blatantly known. I truly appreciated this from Bardugo. She didn't feel that sexual orientation had to be a giant spotlight that defined a character. She slowly made it known that Wylan and Jesper were getting closer in a romantic manner with wonderful and natural flirting. It was marvelous, and I loved their witty banter and remarks. They also now happen to be one of my favorite boy meets boy couples!!! 

Overall, I can't stress just how amazing this series is. Bardugo has definitely picked up another loyal fan, and I can't wait to see what she creates next.



If you enjoyed this book, you may also like:


9579634    29097931