Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Hunger Within by Lily Luchesi

35510557

This Review was Written By: B
Received: E-book from Author
Date of Publication: July 2017
Pages: 155
Stars: 4.5/5

Official Summary:

Newly turned vampire Rebecca Renfield is about to discover that there is much more to the world of the Undead than sex, blood, and handcuffs.  Her sire and Mistress is the direct descendant of Count Dracula, and that means she has a reputation to uphold.  Meetings with vampiric dignitaries, secret blood and bondage dungeons, and vampire hunters now fill the couple's nights.  Is this world everything Bec thought it would be, or will she fall under the pressure of what it means to be the submissive to the most powerful vampiress in the world?



My Thoughts:

Before previously reading the prequel novelette to The Hunger Within called A Bloody Legacy, I had yet to read Bram Stoker's Dracula, which was the inspiration to Luchesi's new F/F BDSM stories of late.  However, in May I was finally able to sit down and read the beloved classic and am so glad that I did because now I can fully appreciate Lily's newest releases!  However, reading Dracula is in no way necessary to follow or enjoy these stories, especially because Luchesi has a way of explaining or rehashing important plot points from the prequel novelette and ideas she incorporated from Dracula into her own story without being long-winded or confusing.

I loved revisiting Bec and Victoria.  I've never read a relationship quite like theirs.  I've read books whose main or side characters are gay or bisexual, but I've never read a book solely about a F/F relationship that included BDSM nonetheless.  I've now been introduced to a whole new genre!  You can imagine how intense or kinky normal BDSM is, but throw two vampires into the mix and you're in for an intensified carnal and sensual story of pain and pleasure that is sure to please fans.  What I found most interesting, though, wasn't how Bec and Vic interacted in sexual situations as dominant and submissive but rather how they interacted outside of those situations.  I expected Victoria to be less than sensitive, emotionally distant, and controlling to an extent.  However, she was actually extremely sweet and gentle with Bec, which I was extremely pleased to discover.

Besides the fun take on Dracula's and Renfield's descendants, I immensely enjoyed the inclusion of vampire hunters and learning more about this vampiric world. Admittedly, this story is very different when compared to the vampire novels I've read in the past, such as the YA Cirque du Freak series and the Chronicles of Vladimir Todd, but I'm so glad I gave this new genre a go!  Luchesi continually gives her best, writing about strong women, passionate love, horrific adventure, and lots and lots of blood!  Keep them coming!!!